Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Jam: All Mod Cons (1978)

Untitled
Where the streets are paved with blood
With cataclysmic overtones
Fear and hate linger in the air
A strictly no-go deadly zone
I don't know what I'm doing here
'Cause it's not my scene at all
There's an 'A' bomb in Wardour Street
They've called in the Army, they've called in the police too

- 'A' Bomb in Wardour Street, The Jam

This might sound odd, but I had never heard the phrase "all mod cons" before I became familiar with this record, probably because it is a UK expression. I  guess we don't use that term on this side of the pond. I have even see the phrase mangled to become "all cons mod" and "all mods con."

The amazing thing about this record is that Paul Weller was only 20 when it was released. I find that amazing. I was 20 years old once, so this seems extra amazing. Apparently, Paul Weller had been suffering from writer's block, which he managed to overcome in time for this record.

This LP is a vast improvement over its predecessor.

No comments: