Friday, November 11, 2016

The Jam: In the City (1977)

Untitled
The Jam were the leaders of the mod revival, which was a return to earlier styles, like The Who and some others. So, the band is often categorized as mod-revival, punk, and new wave, though I resist the latter label. I think it's punk, with a 1960s influence. And, the lyrics could be political:

In the city there's a thousand men in uniforms
And I've heard they now have the right to kill a man

- In the City, The Jam

Paul Weller, the lead singer and primary songwriter, went on to form The Style Council, followed by what I gather was a successful solo career.

I have a US copy, even though the record was pressed in Canada. I think the Jam were a really great band, with lots of great tunes. I love the intro to this video:

No comments: