Thursday, September 25, 2014

David Bowie: David Bowie (1967)


Not surprisingly, I do not own the original pressing of Bowie's debut record from 1967. That record would set you back a handsome sum. For example, there is a copy for sale right now on Discogs for more than $4000. I'd love to find a copy of the original at a lawn sale some day. That would be cool. I would sell it for sure.

This copy is the 2010 European double LP version, which contains a copy of the album in mono and a copy of the album in stereo. I think this was done because the first pressing was released on June 1, 1967 in the UK in both mono and stereo mixes. Here, you get both. June 1, 1967 was also notable, Wikipedia tells me, as the date that Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released in the UK. It's clear that the Beatles record is better.

This is an interesting record, not up to Bowie's later standards, and it is generally less interesting than prime Bowie, but there are enough good points here to warrant some interest. It definitely shows promise, but he had yet to find his niche. Still, I like this record. I simply love Bowie's voice, no matter what he is singing.

No comments: