Saturday, May 30, 2015

Miles Davis: Miles Davis And The Modern Jazz Giants (1959)

Untitled
Obviously, I do not have the original pressing from 1959. I think you would have to put out nearly $100 to get a copy in great condition. I have a small collection of Miles Davis, but it is all on CD. This compact collection includes Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew, etc. My copy of this LP is a US repressing from 2015 on Prestige.

I'm not one of those major jazz fans, but my CD collection does have a few other notable releases, from people like Thelonious Monk, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, Pat Metheny, and John Coltrane. Nevertheless, I really enjoy jazz, just not smooth jazz so much.

Personelle appearing on this record are Miles Davis, Milt Jackson, Thelonious Monk, Percy Heath, and  Kenny Clarke. I read that this is the only time that Monk and Davis recorded together. I'm not qualified to review jazz in any meaningful way, but I do enjoy this recording.

No comments: