Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Joy Division: Still (1981)

Untitled
Cynics would argue that Factory Records was quick to capitalize on Joy Division's untimely demise by issuing an odd collection of things found lying around the studio floor. That may be partially true, but it doesn't diminish the fact that there are some outstanding tunes here, most notably Dead Souls and Glass.

Someone take these dreams away
That point me to another day
A duel of personalities
That stretch all true realities

....

Where figures from the past stand tall
And mocking voices ring the halls
Imperialistic house of prayer
Conquistadors who took their share

Apart from the previously-unused studio tracks the record contains a recording of Joy Division's last concert in High Hall, Birmingham University on May 2nd, 1980 plus a version of the Velvet Underground's Sister Ray, from The Moonlight Club in London (April 2nd, 1980).

There are several versions of this release. I have the 3rd UK 2xLP pressing from 1981. The original UK pressing was bound in cloth. A friend of mine has the original UK pressing, but I don't think he would give it to me, no matter how nicely I asked. In addition to the LP, I have a Canadian CD from 1987, a copy of which is for sale on Discogs for over $90. WTF?

I've always loved the understated album cover design.

No comments: