Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Kraftwerk: Radio-Activity [Radio-Aktivität] (1975)

Untitled
This is the Voice of Energy
I am a giant electrical generator
I supply you with light and power
And I enable you to receive speech,
Music and image through the ether
I am your servant and lord at the same time
Therefore guard me well
Me, the genius of Energy

I have the original US pressing of this LP from 1975. The original German pressing from the same year carries the title Radio-Aktivität and that will cost you a bit more. Allmusic's review is brief but to-the-point:

"A concept album exploring themes of broadcast communications, Radio-Activity marked Kraftwerk's return to more obtuse territory, extensively utilizing static, oscillators, and even Cage-like moments of silence to approximate the sense of radio transmission; a pivotal record in the group's continuing development, the title track -- the first they ever recorded in English -- is their most fully realized electro-pop effort to date, while "The Voice of Energy" precipitates the robot voice so crucial to their subsequent work." [source]

I like it. 


No comments: