Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Gordon Lightfoot: Lightfoot! (1966)

Untitled
Gordon Lightfoot is one of the few artists whose records can sometimes be found at thrift stores. His records are worth picking up, unlike those of Anne Murray and James Last. I have to note that some thrift stores have increased prices to stupid amounts for giant piles of crap. I've seen moldy, scratched-up records that should have been melted down. I've also seen 7" 45 RPM records with price stickers applied directly onto the groves. There are other thrifts shops who have hired a record expert to examine everything (you know, remove the good stuff) before it hits the floor, thereby denying the thrill of finding something cool at a thrift shop. I also suspect that some employees might be holding things for themselves, but who knows if that is true? I rarely even bother to go in anymore.

But, back to Lightfoot, a true Canadian icon. He is probably best described as folk, but there are hints of country music, which interests me far less. Lightfoot is probably in the top five of best Canadian songwriters, after Leonard Cohen, Bruce Cockburn, and Neil Young, of course. Some might add Joni Mitchell. A long list of artists have covered his songs. One of the first covers I recall hearing was Olivia Newton John's rendition of If Your Could Read My Mind, a song I hated with a passion, until I heard Lightfoot's original. My brother had Olivia's record - If Not For You - on 8-track, and he played it over and over. I know she is dealing with cancer, and I hope she overcomes it. I was never a fan.

But, back to Lightfoot. His debut, recorded in 1964, was released in 1966. This record was released in mono and stereo versions. I have the stereo version. It contains two of his biggest hits, Early Mornin' Rain and Ribbon of Darkness. It's not a bad record for certain Sunday mornings.

No comments: