Monday, October 02, 2017

Level 42: Running in the Family (1987)

Untitled
Although I purchased this record when it came out, I had already started to lose interest in the band. Allmusic says this:
"By Running in the Family, Level 42 had almost completely thinned out their early jazz-funk and soul roots in favor of a radio-friendly keyboard pop with a light R&B vibe. The sound lies somewhere between Kool and the Gang and early Tears for Fears. But if early fans might have felt betrayed by the new direction, the band's newfound aptitude for attention-grabbing hooks and airtight instrumental polish attracted more than enough new fans to replace them." [source]
Yes, I agree. Lessons in Love and the title track were big hits, if I remember correctly. I don't mind those songs, but it's a step down from World Machine.

No comments: