Monday, December 04, 2017

Lene Lovich: Stateless (1978)

Untitled
This record really help to usher in new wave, a form of music that really appealed to me. Oddly, when I hear this record, I am reminded of Christmas. Maybe I got it around Christmas. It just makes me think of that tine of year. It's odd. So, about this record, Allmusic says:
One of Stiff Records' most stable staples, the truly alternative Lene Lovich laid much of the groundwork for an entire generation of singers left to pick up the pieces in the wasteland of the post-punk era. Her stunning debut, 1979's Stateless, was so unique, so vibrant, and her vocal stylings so unusual that the LP not only put her right at the front of the pack of nascent new wavers, it also sounded a commercial death knell of sorts, relegating her to the realms of novelty acts -- at least as far as the mainstream was concerned. ... While Stateless is certainly very much of its era, and well-placed in its time, inspired and adventurous songwriting coupled with a truly pioneering intent ensure that this LP will always remain the lit roadside marker that whispered "this way" to the hundreds of bands who followed. [source]
I think that is very well said. This is an easy record to find: I see it everywhere.


No comments: