Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Magazine: Secondhand Daylight (1979)

Untitled
I played this record no too long ago, with my kids in the room. When Permafrost came on, I jumped from my chair and lifted the stylus when I remembered the lyrics that were coming:

As the day stops dead
At the place where we're lost
I will drug you and fuck you
On the permafrost

Those lyrics would be difficult to explain to little children, I think.

This is a fantastic record, but it's not for everyone. I'd rank it as one of the best post-punk records of all time.

I remember purchasing this LP. The clerk (he may have been the store owner) told me that it's difficult to sell Magazine records. I was astonished to hear him say that. On another occasion, a record store clerk told me that no one buys Shriekback records. What?

I like everything the Magazine did, and I like this one very much. I have the Canadian pressing.


No comments: