Friday, February 09, 2018

Bob Marley and The Wailers: Survival (1979)

Untitled
"Containing what is considered Marley's most defiant and politically charged statement to date, Survival concerns itself with the expressed solidarity of not only Africa, but of humanity at large." [source]

Just look at the album art. First, you notice the flags, and, since I am not a vexillologist, I had to look this up: "The album's front cover depicts 48 African flags, 15 of which [...] are now obsolete, and the flag of Papua New Guinea." [source] The other cover element is an engraving of the interior compartment of a slave ship. I think this makes a strong statement, and I can't see how anyone would object, but the cover proved controversial. I simply cannot imagine why. Slavery (in all time periods) was and is an abomination. It was cruel and inhumane and a massive tragedy. Let's also not forget that slavery continues, though we tend to use the term human trafficking.

I like this record very much. I have the original Canadian pressing.




No comments: