Monday, March 05, 2018

Max Webster: High Class in Borrowed Shoes (1977)

Untitled
"Oh war, it's been done before
That's what they say
I wasn't there, they say there's one today
I don't care, I'm not there today

'Cause I'd say fuck you instead of thank you
Your choice under your breath
Oh, say go to hell, I'll go American Express

Oh war, history says you are in it
Your sister's boyfriend's in it
So so long soldier, wash your socks and guns and just remember
If you don't see a profit you sell your stocks and run"

I'd say that the second record from Max Webster is almost as good as the first. They had a drummer change between records, for whatever reason. This record is probably the best introduction to Max Webster, but that doesn't mean it's the best one from the band, though I'd place High Class in Borrowed Shoes in my top five max tunes.

For the first time, Terry Watkinson sings lead on his own composition, Rain Child.

If you are paying attention, you will note that there is a song called Coming Off the Moon on the debut record, This LP contains a tune called In Context of the Moon. This is maybe the best song on the record. It's like a short prog song. There's an anti-war song (Oh War!), which is a killer tune. It contains a couple of f-bombs (a term I hate), which may have kept it off the radio.

The record cover might be the most interesting thing about this record. It's some mad stylin' for sure. It sort of looks like glam, even though the music doesn't match that label.

The bass player - Mike Tilka - left after this record.

No comments: