Friday, March 09, 2018

Max Webster: Universal Juveniles (1980)

Untitled
I lost interest with Max Webster when this record came out. I did buy it, and then I sold it, and then I found a cheap copy somewhere and picked it up again. I do like some of the tracks, but I think they had lost the plot by this point. Well, maybe that's what I used to think. I listened to this recently, and liked it better than I thought I did. Maybe I was reacting to the departure of Terry Watkinson (who appears only on Battle Scar). In fact, the only original members left are Mitchell, and Dubois, if you consider him to be a member. This record might really be a Kim Mitchell solo record, especially if you consider the cover image. I could never have worn anything like that.

Rush fans, of course, will need to have a copy of this LP because of the track Battle Scar, a tune that features all members of both bands. That means, two singers, two drummers, two bassists, two guitarists, and a keyboardist. I wouldn't say that this is top shelf Max Webster, but if you like the band, I guess you need to own it.

By the way, I have always been irritated by later CD releases which included the "featuring Kim Mitchell" on the cover. I mean, I get it, but I wish they would have had more respect for the original cover. I wonder if Kim approved of that move.





No comments: