Monday, March 12, 2018

Paul McCartney: Pipes Of Peace (1983)

Untitled
Good lord, how did this end up in my collection? I must have paid about a dollar for it. I have never been a Michael Jackson fan and I find some McCartney solo work to be very suspect. I once turned down a free copy of Thriller. As everyone knows, MJ and Macca had a huge falling out in later years. The title track, perhaps the best tune on the record, is not terrible. The rest leaves me cold. Check out this review, from NME, quoted in Wikipedia:
Reviewing the album for the NME, Penny Reel described Pipes of Peace as "A dull, tired and empty collection of quasi-funk and gooey rock arrangements ... with McCartney cooing platitudinous sentiments on a set of lyrics seemingly made up on the spur of the moment." Reel opined that the "one decent moment" was the title track, which he found to be "a Beatlish soiree surely destined as a Christmas single", before concluding: "Even here, however, a note of insincerity in the vocal finally defeats the lyric's objective." [source]
That is scathing, to be sure. Also, the cover image sucks. I just cannot include the video for Say Say Say. I just can't.

No comments: