Friday, April 27, 2018

Ministry: The Land of Rape and Honey (1988)

Untitled
From 1958 to October 2015, Tisdale, Saskatchewan's slogan was "The Land of Rape and Honey," a reference to the area's canola crops. Canola oil is derived from rapeseed. I guess years and years of complaints finally convinced the town to dump that slogan. Anyway, Ministry adopted that slogan for this album's name. And what an album this is. They moved headfirst into what I guess could be described as Industrial Metal.

The Wikipedia entry suggests that Al Jourgensen viewed this record as the "first true" Ministry album, though the author provides no citation. The same entry adds this, about the disturbing cover image:

The album cover is an electronically processed image of a burned corpse in the Leipzig-Thekla subcamp of Buchenwald. Jourgensen took a picture of the holocaust from a documentary on television and distorted the image himself. According to Jourgensen, it was originally rejected by the record label but they later changed their mind after Jourgensen presented a head of a roadkilled deer he had found on the road; he cut off the head, put it in his truck, drove from Austin to Los Angeles, went into the Sire Records building, threw the deer on the desk of the head of the art department and said, "here's your new fucking [album] cover. [source]

I absolutely love this record. I can see that it would not be for everyone. I recall putting a track from this record on a mixed tape that I gave to a friend. I think the other tracks were also heavy. He asked me why I had become an angry young man. I just liked the sound and fell of it all. I am, by no means, interested in metal.

No comments: