Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Kim Mitchell: Kim Mitchell (1982)

Untitled
With the demise of Max Webster, one of the most under-appreciated Canadian bands, Kim Mitchell forged ahead with a rather successful solo career. I'll be honest: I much prefer the Max Machine to solo Kim, but he did come up with some good music. His first effort was a very solid mini album with five tracks, released on Anthem Records not long after Max Webster folded. The only connection to Max, as far as I can see, is that Mitchell continued to work with Pye Dubois.

I saw Max Webster in concert once (at my High School) and Kim Mitchell twice, and the latter concert was free. He played some old Max tunes, which I liked.

If you live in Toronto and area, you will probably know that Kim hosted the afternoon show on Q-107 from 2004-2015. I knew that he had a heart attack in 2016, but I have no idea what he has been up to recently.

This record contains five fairly good tracks, though the whole thing seems like a more polished pop outing. The wackiness of Max is gone, and that's a sad thing. 



No comments: