Thursday, May 31, 2018

The Monks: Bad Habits (1979)

20180504164708
The Monks (not to be confused with The Monks) were a UK pop and new wave band. Oddly, three of the four members were originally in The Strawbs. Once upon a time, I owned some records by The Strawbs, but I never listened to them, so I sold them. It was many years later that I became aware of the connection to The Strawbs.

(By the way, since we are in the M section, I should mention that I used to own some Eddie Money records. I know that's weird, but true. In my defence, I will say that I was a young kid).

For some unknown reason, this The Monks were huge in Canada. In fact, the second record from the band didn't even get a domestic UK release, but it was available here on cassette, LP, and compact disc. Bad Habits was so popular in Canada, it was even repressed here. I have the original Canadian pressing.

I listened to this record so much, I got tired of it. Part of the problem was that me dad liked the record too, and he asked me to make a cassette copy so he could listen to it in his car. That meant I heard it far more often than I wanted to.

I've seen this band categorized as both punk and new wave. For me, it fit better in the new wave category, and it complemented a lot of other stuff I was listening to at the time, like Squeeze, for just one example. Also, it seemed to me that this band was a parody of punk, and not really punk at all.

Oh, and yes, I thought that the cover was interesting. 

No comments: