Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Elton Motello: Jet Boy Jet Girl (1979)

So, Elton Motello is somehow the name of the singer and the band. I guess that's like Alice Cooper, though that really became his name. The singer - Elton Motello - is Alan Ward. The first single was Pogo Pogo (1977) though that was later changed to the flip side (1978), Jet Boy Jet Girl, and then that later morphed into a single with Jet Boy Jet Girl on the a-side, and Jet Boy Jet Girl on the a-side and Apocalipstic on the b-side (1979). I have a later 12" pressing without Pogo Pogo.

Anyway, Jet Boy Jet Girl is awesome. I'd never really heard such explicit lyrics:
Can you tell what's on my mind?
She's with him, it drives me wild
I'd like to hit him on the head
Until he's dead
The sight of blood is such a high
Ooh, hoo, hoo, hoo
He gives me head

We made it on a ballroom blitz
I took his arm and kissed his lips
He looked at me with such a smile
My face turned red
We booked a room into the Ritz
Ooh, hoo, hoo, hoo
He gives me head

Jet boy, jet girl
Gonna take you 'round the world
Jet boy I'm gonna make him penetrate
I'm gonna make you be a girl
Ooh, hoo, hoo, hoo
Jet boy jet girl

And though I'm only just fifteen
I like to kick, I like to scream
And even if I have a kick or two in bed
When I'm with him it's just a dream
Ooh, hoo, hoo, hoo
He gives me head
But, this tune was apparently the first openly gay punk song. Anyway, the backing track was taken from Ça plane pour moi, a track by Plastic Bertrand.

But, check out this lame comment from a user review on Allmusic:
Elton was one of the first rock artists to openly express his homosexuality through music, but likely did the cause more harm than good with the release of his cheesy debut disc "Victims of Time", which prominently featured the crass and tasteless gay anthem "Jet Boy Jet Girl". [source]
I cannot agree with that statement.

No comments: