Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Pink Floyd: The Wall (1979)


I was only passingly familiar with Pink Floyd when this record dropped. I knew a few PF tracks that were played on FM radio, and these were all from Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon. And then, The Wall arrived. I think everyone loved Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2), and I thought it was kind of cool, so I went out and bought a copy of the LP. In truth, I found the listening experience to be rather tough going and I found that, although I think I liked the record well enough, I didn't listen to it very often. I sold the record not too long after, which was a mistake. The funny thing is that I had the same experience with the CD version. One day, I saw a copy for a good price and decided to get it. I listened to it and found that, yes, it's a really good record, but I can't say that listening to it is enjoyable. I do love some tracks, like Mother, Run Like Hell, and Comfortably Numb. Others were good, but not so much fun. I found that I didn't really listen to the CD very often, though I kept my copy.

Some years ago, I saw a reasonably-priced vinyl copy in a used bin, and tried again. I listened to it twice, and never again. It's clearly not my favourite Pink Floyd Record. I like it but it just isn't the kind of record one throws on the turntable for a casual listen. You have to be all in. I do love the transition from The Happiest Days Of Our Lives to Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2).




No comments: