Wednesday, November 10, 2021

The Pogues: If I Should Fall From Grace With God (1988)


They faked their way through 'Fairytale of New York'.
When the band stopped playing we howled out for more.

- Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night, The Hold Steady

I remember painting the living room in a condo I once lived in with this Pogues record (I mean CD) blasting from the speakers. The frenetic pace of this record is a good compliment to the act of painting. I felt that I could never tire, but I did, eventually, when the CD was over and I had to find something else to play.

Oddly, the first track I heard from this record is not on it! South Australia appears on the CD but not on the LP. I have both versions, so that's OK. I really liked that song, but I now view it as one of the weaker tracks on the album.

This record contains the greatest Christmas song ever. If you have never heard Fairytale of New York, do yourself a favour. Yes, yes, I know of the much later woke reactions to this song. Get over it!

Finally, Allmusic says this: "Brilliantly mixing passion, street smarts, and musical ambition, If I Should Fall from Grace with God is the best album the Pogues would ever make." [source] Agreed!





No comments: