Thursday, December 02, 2021

The Police: Synchronicity (1982)


To me, this record is slightly better than the previous one. The songs really connected with me, both lyrically and musically. There are so many great tracks, like Wrapped Around Your Finger, King of Pain, the title tracks. I was never enraptured by Every Breath You Take, though I recognize that it is good. I don't think that the police were ever as popular as they were with this record. Biggest band in the world? Maybe. 

I should have mentioned this with the last record: "The album's title was inspired by Arthur Koestler's The Roots of Coincidence. Frontman Sting was an avid reader of Koestler, and also titled the Police's prior album Ghost in the Machine after one of his works." [source]

I think I have read every book by Koestler along with some biographies. I have an entire shelf of books by Koestler. I will argue that the Roots of Coincidence is dire, but the rest are great, especially Darkness at Noon






No comments: