Monday, March 05, 2007

Forest

I hated art class in school. That really should be, I really hated art class in school. And so, I did not take any art classes in high school.

But, I remember that in grade 7 my art teacher was some sort of space cadet. Maybe that's just my memory of her. In grade 8, my art teacher was far better known as a math teacher. Maybe I just had terrible teachers. I think I was afraid of art.

This is not to suggest that I am any good at art. I can barely draw to save myself. I can draw rectangles, triangles, and some other geometric forms, but ask me to draw a bird, and it is hit or miss. I drew a good one the other day, while in a meeting. Maybe boredom and confinement helps.

I was painting with the kids the other day and took over this from Sam, who had made the dynamic black splotch. He then seemed more interested in ripping this apart (I gather he did not like it), so I gave him a new piece of paper and finished this. You can see two other attempts at painting here and here.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My middle school art teacher was generally considered to be hot by most of the young boys...looking back, i think the fact that she was under the age of 30 was what made her appealing...

i think the black splotch was meant to be a comment on the alienation of the individual in a post-modern world...as was the desire to destroy the art :)

zydeco fish said...

I can see how and under 30 art teacher might be the object of some fascination by male adolescents.

Your second point is a good one.

tweetey30 said...

viI hated art and still do. I was helping my youngest draw a person last week and my oldest six started laughing at me. she can do better than mom when it comes to that stuff.
I can see where you have a forest in there if that makes you feel any better after looking at it. I like it.

tshsmom said...

OH thank God!!
I thought you were going to tell us that you went to an art gallery and that painting sold for an astronomical amount of money!

Little boys seem to go through a "black splotch" phase. Z loved to obliterate everything on the page with a black crayon, when he was 3.