Monday, August 14, 2017

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (1976)


Somewhat bizarrely, the record labels claim that the band's name is Led Zepplin. I am not sure how that got past quality control. This is in of the records that mysteriously sister had, and so it reminds me of her. She had many of the others, but this one always captivated me, for whatever reason. I did not see the film until ears later and, let's be honest, it's not that good. I guess I should listen to the later version:

Upon its initial release in 1976, the album received some mixed reviews, with a number of critics considering it to be over-produced and lumbering. Indeed, the band's members themselves have since expressed a lack of fondness for the recording. Page has admitted that the end product was not the best representation of Led Zeppelin as a live band. 

In contrast, the 2007 reissued version received generally much more positive reviews. In a review published in Mojo magazine in December 2007 James McNair gave the album four out of five stars... [source]
I actually love this record. For ages, it was the only live Zeppelin available, so maybe that is why. 


No comments: