Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Robert Plant: Pictures at Eleven (1982)


I was, and continue to be, a big Led Zeppelin fan. I loved everything they recorded. Sadly, I never got to see the band live because the last tour was cancelled by the untimely death of John Bonham. I'm not sure that I could have made it anyway, as I was a young kid and miles away from Toronto. I also probably didn't have enough money to buy a ticket.

Three years after the release of the last true LZ record, Robert Plant released his first solo record. I think expectations were running high. How could a solo Plant record equal the greatness of Led Zeppelin? It seemed unlikely.

I remember listening intently, on my truly terrible single-speaker cassette player, when I heard Burning Down One Side on the radio. It wasn't Zeppelin, but I liked it. The voice, of course, reminded me of Zeppelin. I did not recognize the name Robbie Blunt, Plants's co-writer and guitarist on this record, but he had some moments.

All of the Phil Collins haters take note: Phil handles the drums on six of the eight tracks. If he's good enough for Plant, he should be good enough for you.

This is not as good as anything Zeppelin ever recorded, but I like it. 

No comments: