Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Robert Plant: The Principle of Moments (1983)


Oddly, the two mellow songs on this record engaged me the most. This might seem odd for someone who could never get enough of Jimmy Page's electrifying guitar work. But, Plant's voice and the mood of these two tracks really connected with me. Yes, Other Arms, Messin' With the Mekon, and Wreckless Love are also great. But Big Log and In the Mood really said something different, and I liked that.

The other thing worth noting is that these two track received heavy rotation on the various after-school video shows, so I saw them a lot. Maybe I have nostalgia for those shows and the videos. 

Phil Collins contributes some excellent drumming here too. 

I miss the Swan Sing labels. Man, I loved those labels when I was a kid. Of course, I always associate the Swan Song label with Zeppelin, but there were certainly other acts on  this label. It was such a cool design, and probably the first label I recall looking at seriously. After Plant's first record, he started his own label and Swan Song had its swan song in 1983.

No comments: