Tuesday, May 28, 2019

The Northern Pikes: Secrets of the Alibi

Sweet September rain
Coming down hard on the roof of the car
Familiar terrain
I'm in a daydream, and the thoughts keep on coming
Nineteen-eighty-two
Was the year I fell head over heels with you
I was only twenty-one
What can I do now and what have I done?
You've thrown it all away
Six years go by, and they seem like a day

Allmusic awards only three stars to Big Blue Sky, with no companion review, and the site gives this one 4.5, also without offering a review of any kind. I don't see much difference in quality between the two, but I have to say that Wait for Me, from this record, might be the band's best track.
About one year after recording their successful debut album, the Northern Pikes returned to the studio in the Spring of 1988 to record the follow-up. The resulting production had a more serious tone than their first, no longer talking about "Teenland" but themes of growing up and a political awareness of the world at large. [source]
It's a good, and underrated record, from an underrated band.


No comments: