Thursday, July 22, 2004

The Worst Song

I thought of entitling this entry "The Worst Song Ever Written", but I haven't heard them all. I also thought of "The Worst Song I have ever Heard", but I have heard lots of pure shite, and I don't know the titles or artists. So, this is called the worst song.

I was forced to thrown out entire genres, either because every song is terrible or because I know too little about them. For example, I am not qualified to comment on Country and Western, beyond the fact that I hate it (especially so-called new country by the likes of Shania Twain) , with the notable exception of The Streets of Laredo and a few Hank Williams Jr. songs.

All Hip Hop is now garbage. How can you take a genre seriously when most of its artists take the opportunity to turn their videos into television commercials? I know too little about gospel and jazz. Let's forget about easy listening. The whole thing is a joke.

So, I guess this should be The Worst Song that I am Familiar With, of The Worst Song with which I am Familiar. There are lots to choose from. A few things spring to mind immediately. These include Delta Dawn, Tie a Yellow Ribbon, Raise a Little Hell, anything by Olivia Newton John, all Disco, the entire top 40, all Spice Girls songs, and anything by Hanson, the Backstreet Boys, Styx, or Abba. Let's not forget the whole raft of teen stars, like Britney Spears, Debbie Gibson, etc.

So, here it is: my opinion of the worst song ever. Oh, I should say that I almost chose the jingle in the MarineLand TV commercial. They have used the same insipid piece of music since I was in diapers. Enough already. OK, so here it is... Oh, I should say that I almost chose We Will Rock You/We are the Champions by Queen. Both songs are embarrassing. Oh, and I almost choose Paradise by the Dashboard Lights by Meatloaf. Let's just say that he is a better actor than singer. I hate it. Also, I was this close to selecting Common People by Pulp. OK, so here it is: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Someone (you know who you are) told me that the song was never meant to be taken seriously. The problem is, those rabid Queen fans didn't understand, and they do take it seriously. These are probably people who think that they hate Opera and yet like this song for its ridiculous pseudo-operatic moments. Fans praise Freddy Mercury for his voice, which, let's face it, was not that good. I could go on, but I won't. I hate the song.

Tags: , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well. i don't quite know how to respond to this.

first of all, not all hip-hop is garbage - i could gladly lend you a cd that might change your mind.

all meatloaf songs must be taken with a grain of kitsch salt - it's rock opera, so it's meant to be grandiose and over the top...much like Queen...

and lastly, styx???????

blasphemer.
CMF | 07.22.04 - 11:01 am

zydeco fish said...

Babe is a ridiculous song, unless you have a fondness for cheesy power ballads. It reminds me of high school slow dances, but that it where the good memories end.
zf | 07.22.04 - 4:47 pm

Liz said...

Tell me you're kidding! If you think that Queen and Meatloaf are among the worst out there, then you have been blessed not to hear anthing truly awful! Frankly, I love Meatloaf's songs and anything else that Jim Steinman wrote. Over-the-top? Yes, and quite enjoyably so!

zydeco fish said...

Liz, some who know me claim that I was in a cultural void for years. So, it is quite possible that there is far worse out there. Maybe I'll have to revisit the topic later. Or, maybe I just have a bad reaction to Queen and Meatloaf.