Friday, September 24, 2004

The Politics of Dancing

There are certain things that one should generally not engage in with co-workers. At the top of that list is dancing. Drinking and carousing are ok, but not dancing. Well, I suppose that there could be certain circumstances under which it might happen, say at a dance club where it is dark and there are other people around. I was really thinking about parties or small gatherings that include dancing, like a work Christmas party I went to at my director's house some years ago. There were only 12 or 13 of us, and someone got the crazy idea that we should dance in the living room. I almost ran screaming for the door. The following year's party was even more bizarre because we went to see a belly dancer. Co-workers of both genders got up to dance with her. Not me.

Another is sharing hotel rooms at conferences. This has happened to me twice. No boss should ever make that a requirement. What if you are trapped with someone who snores or who has a chronic gas problem? What then?

Oh, and here is my favourite line from The Family Guy:
Brian to Peter: "You are the Spalding Gray of crap." I mention this because the show has been uncancelled. This is good news.

Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha. i'm surprised you didn't mention the Seinfeld epidsode where Elaine dances in front of her co-workers, and George utters one of my fav lines from the show: "Sweet fancy moses!"
CMF | 09.24.04 - 2:38 pm

zydeco fish said...

ha! i forgot about elaine's dancing. i actually adopted the phrase "sweet fancy moses" for about a week, but it didn't take.
zf | Homepage | 09.24.04 - 2:52 pm