Monday, January 31, 2005

I had a strange conversation with a guy in a photo shop recently when I dropped off some film to be developed. He got chatty and decided to ask me what I do. When I told him that I am a librarian, he said, "no you're not, you're an archivist." People don't often argue with me about what my title is. I assume that they will accept my word for it: not this guy.

Oddly, he pronounced archivist incorrectly. He said the word archive, followed by ist, if you know what I mean. I guess I had a perplexed look on my face, for he repeated what he had told me: I am not a librarian, I am an archivist (pronounced incorrectly).

I may never be able to go back to that place again.

Technorati tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you didn't defend your profession, or try to explain the difference...how hilarious. You should have asked what he did for a living, and then told him he was wrong...CMF

mister anchovy said...

no point arguing with characters like that....he's right and that's all there is to it....how does it feel being an archive-ist?