Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Zep

I started writing this three days ago, and then I got sidetracked.

As a kid, I was hassled a lot for admiring Led Zeppelin. Partly, it had to do with the fact that I once wore a Led Zeppelin t-shirt on school picture day. Somehow, I completely forgot about the pictures. If you have a class picture with a kid in a Zeppelin t-shirt, that might be me. My brother, almost ten years older than me, had some influence on my music choices. And so, I was well-armed to deal with the disco invasion. When my other brother, just 1 & a half years older, put on Gloria Gaynor or the Bee Gees and others, I turned up Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

Today, I can say that I still enjoy Led Zeppelin, more so than other bands of that era. I think the music has aged well. The Rolling Stones are boring, save for a few songs scattered here and there. I never liked The Who very much. I like LZ for several reasons. It has fantastic rhythm and some really excellent drumming. It's music to have sex to, seriously.

A few friends wonder how I can reconcile liking Led Zeppelin with the more avant-garde selections in my collection, like Steve Reich and Philip Glass. For some reason, I have appreciated this band even as I passed through various musical phases, like punk, New Wave, the Neo ska revival, post-rock, minimalism, etc.

But, I have to add that Stairway to Heaven sucks. Sorry to those who like this song, but it really awful. Oh, and I hate heavy metal, and I don't think it's fair to blame Zeppelin for that blight, as some people do.

The Office

The Office is coming to the USA in the form of a re-make. It is clear that the US networks have run out of ideas. I don't really mind the fact that it is being re-made; it just bugs me that many people will never see the original, which, no doubt, will be far superior.

Alias

Speaking of being out of ideas, I wonder how many people noticed that they borrowed heavily from a Kurt Vonnegut novel in the last episode?

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LZ is quite timeless and manages to span all kinds of musical tastes...even my parents, who enjoyed disco, etc. in the 70s, have Led Zeppelin One in their collection of albums.

as for music to have sex to, it would certainly appear on my list...

American tv is full of British rip-offs - The Office is hilarious and any attempt to duplicate its hilarity will undoubtedly fall short.

Anonymous said...

I hate heavy metal, but I did like "Stairway to Heaven" but not nearly as much as a bunch of other songs from that time period. I think I like the sond more for it's sentimental value from remembering a friend sing it and play guitar to it, for a talent show. Now, I'm going to have to check on other LZ songs to see if there are some I like. Disco is not my thing.

It's interesting what songs my teen daughters like that I like. My older teen loves most of the music I like. Her younger sister, by just 2 years, likes far different music...