Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Last night, we watched Rabbit-Proof Fence. This is one of those stories I just can't believe is true. Up until 1970, the Australian government had an evil program to remove "half-caste" children from their families and put them in some sort of boarding school with nuns in order to civilize them. In other words, they produced a new social class of domestic servants. It is shocking.

The soundtrack, by Peter Gabriel (which has been in my collection for a while) is very good. I have managed to amass a collection of over 1100 CDs. The challenge, then, is to find time to listen to them. Every once in a while, I dig up something that has fallen out of rotation or I had just forgotten about. Sometimes, I even stop listening to whole artists. I remember being a huge Bob Mould fan. I collected all of his music, saw him in concert, and then stopped listening for a while. I have added old Sugar albums to my MP3 player, and have been walking around with Beaster playing, featuring some fine aggressive guitar noise by Bob. I think Sugar were better than Husker Du. I am going to add Workbook to my player tonight, if my computer doesn't crash yet again.

Technorati tags: , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rabbit-Proof Fence is quite an amazing story, but the government programs portrayed in the film are not unique to Australia - residential schools here in Canada are one of our sad legacies, as well as various 'civilising missions' throughout the Commonwealth...

you will not be shocked to hear that I have no idea who Bob Mould is.