Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Conference

I have to say that the speech by Stephen Lewis at OLA was, without any question, the most moving speech I have ever heard. It was one of those speeches that I wished everyone in the world could have heard. If you ever have the chance to hear him speak, you must.

I used to have a theory that the whole conference thing was a fraud. I felt that those in attendance were there simply to get out of work and that those presenting were there for much the same reasons, but to also puff up their CVs. I think I have moderated my opinion, but I am still amazed that there can be so wide a range of quality of presentation. I presented two years ago at this conference, and I believe that those in attendance learned something, or at least went away with something to think about. I have to say that I attended some sessions that were less than stellar.

Perhaps people just go for the free wine and food and socializing.

Technorati tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephen Lewis is by far one of the most articulate and impassioned people you will ever get the opportunity to hear speak.

There's nothing wrong with free food, wine or socializing...

zydeco fish said...

The trouble with this Blogger commenting system, I've decided, is that sometimes you have no idea who is commenting. Hi there anonymous. How are you? Who are you? :-)