Monday, February 21, 2005

Thinking Outside the Box, HVD, etc.

I like this story. In Boise, Idaho, a city ordinance bans complete nudity at strip clubs. But, because there are exclusions for art (ballet, dance, dramatic performances, etc), the club is handing out pencils and paper two nights per week. Patrons are then permitted to sketch the models during their routines.

HVD

And, just when I thought I had caught up, by purchasing a DVD player, I read about the competing formats for the next generation, those being Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Fine, I thought. But, now we hear that six companies are working on a next next generation product called HVD, or Holographic Versatile Disc.

Evidently, in its final state, this disc will hold a terabyte of data, or the equivalent of 200 DVDs. It can also be used for data backup. But, let me ask you, who has a terabyte of data hanging around? And, having a terabyte of film on one disc sounds great, I'd hate to scratch it. That sounds expensive to replace.

Hey, Hunter S. Thompson is dead of an apparent suicide.

Technorati tags: , ,

3 comments:

Maria said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog, glad you enjoyed my Michael Douglas post. Believe it or not it's a true story.

mister anchovy said...

I don't get all the fuss about Hunter S. Thompson - just plain missed that one along the way.

Super Happy Jen said...

There's already too many ridiculous featurettes on DVDs. What are the movie companies going to do with a terabyte? A commentary from the director's Aunt May? A making of the making of featurette?