Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Godfather of Figure Skating



In my dream last night, the world (and I) found out that Neil Young is an accomplished figure skater. I was present, at ice level, for his return to the sport after his recent aneurism. What I appreciated about Neil, the figure skater, was that he challenged the conventions of dress: he dressed in denim. There were no sequins, no frills, nothing shiny or white or ruffled. It was just rustic worn denim with skates that had a distictive dusty cowboy look. He was unshaven with mutton chop sideburns. The trouble was, the crowd did not cooperate.

They banged on the boards, chanting "Neil, Neil, Neil." He required quiet, and the crowd wasn't listening. I began to worry that he would not perform, that he would not skate. I woke up or my dreams moved on to other territory.

So, that's how the Godfather of Grunge became the Godfather of Figure Skating.

Although this was a weird dream, it is less weird than my Lou Reed Dream, I think.

Technorati Tags: , ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hee...this is rather amusing...apparently Vince Neil of Motley Crue was also a figure skater in his youth...

Jay said...

Well that's totally weird.

mister anchovy said...

it is odd that you have been dreaming of aging male rock stars in just about any context....have any weird bobby dylan dreams lately? (yonder stands your orphan with his gun, etc,etc,etc)

zydeco fish said...

Absolutely no Bob Dylan dreams, which is odd, 'cause as I was painting the baseboards last weekend, I was listening to the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and The Times They are a Changin' (plus a heavy dose of Nine Inch Nails).

Anonymous said...

Honestly, what do you smoke before you go to bed?

Wild.

zydeco fish said...

Good question. Nothing, but maybe that's the problem :-)