Thursday, May 05, 2005

Some Age Milestones

In other words, when I started to feel old.

1) When the Playboy Centerfolds starting becoming younger than me (oh yeah, they were my dad's copies).

2) Every time I have to start checking off a different age category (18-24, 25-29, 30-34....) in surveys, etc.

3) When I finally matched my salary to my age in thousands.

4) When I got to be the age my brother was when he ran away from home.

5) When my parents retired.

6) When I visited my high school web page and discovered that 99% of the teachers I knew are no longer there.

7) When I visited the history department's web page at my undergrad school and found that 80% of the faculty I knew have retired.

8) When my grandmother turned 85.

9) When I had a child.

10) When I realized that I can no longer remember more that three or four names (including mine) in childhood class pictures.

11) When I calculated that my parents got married 50 years ago.

12) When I calculated how long ago I graduated from high school, my undergrad, and grad degrees.

13) When I said "thank God, I'm glad that's over" while cycling past U of T students waiting to write exams outside a gymnasium.

14) When I found my first grey hair.

15) When my dad bought red pants.

16) When someone told me that they have known me for a quarter of a century.

17) When I hurt my back lifting a BBQ and it has never been the same since.

18) When my doctor decided that a PSA test was required.

19) When I go downstairs to get something and forget what it is and then go back upstairs and remember and then go back downstairs and forget and then go back upstairs and remember and then go back downstairs and forget ...

And that's just for starters.

Technorati Tags:

10 comments:

Super Happy Jen said...

I consider myself fairly young (25) but some of the things you listed even make me feel old. They include 2,6,14 (yes, I found one and I still get pimples so what's up with that?), 19 (everybody does this). And what does red pants have anything to do with it? I have 3 pairs of red pants and they make me young.

I'd like to add:
When my little sister had a child.
When I turned a quarter of a century.
When I found out my nephew will be in junior kindergarten next year.
When my friends started getting engaged.
When I got engaged.
Whenever my boss is younger than me.

zydeco fish said...

Jen, The red pants signalled the onset of mny dad's second childhood. I think midlife crisis is the term.

Anonymous said...

I believe I can add to your list...how 'bout the first time you don't get carded when buying alchohol...now that's a sad, sad day indeed...

Super Happy Jen said...

The trick to never having a second childhood is to never finish the first one. I still get carded when I go to the liquor store and when they see how old I really they sometimes seem suspicious (as if I couldn't possibly be THAT old)

Liz said...

How about when your elected officials are younger than you? My Congressman is younger than me.

Another one -- when you're a baseball fan, and you realize that the entire roster is younger than you (I'm not quite there with major league, but close.

Anonymous said...

When you think a cop is too young to arrest somebody

When your high school classmates talk about their grandchildren--all my friends had kids late so we can pretend we're young

Jay said...

So what's so bad with feeling old? I happen to love gray hair, I think it's sexy.

greatwhitebear said...

When I woke up one morning and realized I was too damned old to die young!

Anonymous said...

I;m only in my 30s and I;ve found some grey hair!

Meliors Simms said...

My current milestone is that three weeks ago my daughter had her 19th birthday. I was pregnant with her on my nineteenth birthday. She's half my age... I am twice hers... and so on and so forth in stunned amazement. How did we get here? (She, thank god is not pregnant, because the day I find out I am about to become a grandmother will be the doozy of all age crises).