Tuesday, May 03, 2005

That Sucks

I waited until the last minute and found out that I owe the government about $520 in taxes! I have never had an employer that has ever managed to deduct enough tax, and so I am always left having to pay something at the end of the year. That sucks. So, I am thinking of taking PayPal donations right here, but I fear no one would contribute. Would you?

Speaking of taxes, why hasn't the government created an easy and free way to file your taxes? Surely in the online era, they could create an online form where you pop in your data (much like those online tax services) and click. But, I guess this would put a lot of people out-of-work. That sucks.

Speaking of taxes, the right wing attack on the "tax and spend"' liberals is getting a little old. Yesterday's National Post editorial cartoon was Tweedle Tax and Tweedle Spend. The Tories seem to have forgotten that it was they who brought in the GST. They suck.

Technorati Tags: ,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of my goals in life is to befriend an accountant who will agree to do my taxes for me for the rest of my life...

zydeco fish said...

I'm happy to read that you didn't write "marry" an accountant. Of course, your meaning of befriend might be quite different from mine.

Bill said...

Ummmm...I think you have to tell the company how much to take out.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Bill on that one. Get a T1 form from the HR dept. and request 'extra' be taken off. Then you should be guarenteed a refund at the end of the year. Sure, you won't be earning any interest on the little extra, but it's better than paying through the nose come tax time.
That's what I used to do before I went back to self-employment. Now I'm just always paying through the nose ;-)

zydeco fish said...

Alright, you've convinced me.

Jay said...

The conservatives just like to whine. If they couldn't whine about the liberals, they wouldn't have a platform.
I'm self employed too so I get screwed over, but luckily since Jason's taxes are always astronimical we seem to balance out.