Wednesday, May 11, 2005



You are looking at the only baby picture of me in existence. My mother is about 85% certain it is me. After sifting through her photos, I think I agree: I am also 85% certain it is me. Being the fourth child has certain disadvantages. Photographic fatigue sets in, or maybe it's simply apathy.

I am reflecting on this on the day before I become a father for the second time. There will be an induction tomorrow, so the date seems certain. Other people with more than one child report a serious decline in photos taken of later children. I am making a mental note to keep the shutter moving, which shouldn't be hard, because I am interested in photography and have even taken some courses and spent much time in darkrooms.

The more important news is that I will be off work for the whole summer. And, while I don't expect posts to dry up completely, there may be fewer over the summer months. Oh, and I may even post some pictures.

Immediate concerns are:

1) training my four year old in the art of mixing gin and tonic
2) perfecting the art of secretly sleeping while sitting at the kitchen table
3) training my four year old in the art of making ice cold blender cocktails with rum
4) perfecting the art of sleepwalking, so that I can change diapers while sleeping
5) training my four year old in the art uncorking and serving wine
6) perfecting the art of sleeping while speaking to family and friends
7) training my four year old in the use of a barbecue, garden hose, and various gardening implements
8) perfecting the art of sleeping in the shower

I'll be in touch.

Technorati Tags: , ,

7 comments:

Christine said...

I believe we have taken just as many pictures of our second as we did our first, although I stopped taking them in for professional portraits after that incident on my daughter's 2nd birthday. :)

Sending wishes for an easy birth - Congratulations on becoming a daddy again!! (You were an adorable baby!)

dabydeen said...

Congratulations on the new baby. Hope Mom and baby have smooth birth.

As for you -- you're on your own. You deserve everything that's coming.

(I read somewhere a while back that it costs about $100,000 to bring a child up.)

Judy said...

Very important, this equal photo-op thing.We are trying our best with our second grand daughter-but all is not equal, I'm afraid. How does this affect one upon viewing these photo essays as an adult? Keep snapping....

zydeco fish said...

$100,000! Andy, why didn't you tell me that before?

Jay said...

How exciting! And what a long, long day for your wife this must be. I hope things go well, and I wish you both the strength to get you through the next few days. Be good to Mommy, extra good, and to #1 as well - it's hard to become a sibling!

She Weevil said...

Much easier to teach them to make manhattans - most adults can't manage a good g&t

Liz said...

Congratulations on the new baby.

Be sure to take lots of pictures. I hope you took pics of the Mom's pre-delivery belly, too. I have always regarded the lack of such pics of my mother as proof that I was really adopted!