Monday, June 20, 2005

B.O.

I'm not sure if it's the hot weather or maybe it's the areas I hang out in, but I have to say that some people in Toronto stink. All too frequently, I have walked into the putrid wake of someone on the sidewalks and in the malls of this city. The stench is occasionally so bad, I feel like passing out. I have met some skunks that smelled better. Briefly, I considered that maybe the people behind the blog Dating Help for Men (an idiotic blog that I have mentioned before) are on to something. Clearly, some people do not bathe and have very poor personal hygiene. It's either that, or they fail to wash their clothes.

And then there's overpowering perfume. That is less frequent, to my nose anyway. Something else that bothers my sensitive nose is the super-fragrant bathroom deodorizers one encounters in restaurants and bars. That also makes me sick, and I think that the actual smell would be much easier to take. Well, I guess that depends.

Technorati Tags: ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just at the drug store and the man behind the counter stunk!! Does that make sense that a person that works in a place where there are hundreds of deoderants can't even use one?!!

Critical Darling said...

There's this guy who buys coffee from me every day who smells really bad. But, that's every day--even when it isn't hot out. However, I'm not sure that it's BO--it's skanky, but it's lacking the distinct musky fragrance of forgetting deodorant.

And the overwhelming cologne/perfume is terrible as well. It makes my nose hurt. My theory (at least with most of the guys who do it, because they all look like sports car driving, striped button down shirt wearing materialists) is that people are far more interested in people identifying the smell as an expensive cologne rather than actually smelling good.

Jay said...

Guh-ross.

Cooper said...

Thank you. That dating help for men thing is the worst piece of self serving not to mention total crap I have ever seen.
It is not even funny I think whoever writes it actually believes that stuff.

Gel said...

Besides graphic stench that you so aptly describe, it sucks eggs to be "chemically sensitive to the point of allergies" to perfume, smoke, etc.

Dodging the mad woman in the mall who sprays perfume samples first and asks afterwards is deadly!

kyknoord said...

It's a worldwide phenomenon, apparently. It seems to be instinktual.

mister anchovy said...

I was once in a work situation where I had to tell a guy that he smelled bad. I thought it was a basic personal hygene problem. It turned out he had some kind of medical problem and he had been scared to go to the doctor. The whole business was embarrassing all around.