Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Save me from the Music in my Head

This post grew out of a comment I left on Scritture.

I am sure that most of you have had a song or an advertising jingle stuck so firmly in your head that you feared nothing would ever get it out. I hate it when that happens, especially when I hate the song. For the last four years, or so, I have found that I have had various children's songs running through my head and it is driving me crazy.

I have almost given in to the idea that I will never get these songs out of my head. At work, I find that I am considering some obtuse thing, or have been asked an interesting question, and then I realize that I have a Wiggles song in my head or the jingle to one of many children's TV shows (Arthur, George Shrinks, Dora the Explorer, Franklin -- at least that theme song is sung by Bruce Cockburn and isn't too bad). Maybe I can't fight it.

After all, my dad is a huge ABBA fan and so if I ever wanted a ride anywhere as a teenager (and that included drives to the cottage), I was forced into listening to bad Swedish pop. For a period of 2 years, I had Hell's Bells by AC/DC in my head, and I wasn't even a fan.

My major fear is that I will start singing it out loud, either causing me to be fired or committed.

Technorati Tags: ,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband keeps singing songs from OKLAHOMA!! GOD HELP ME!

Maven said...

Fruit salad... yummy yummy!! Fruit salad... yummy yummy!!!

Inquiring minds want to know, do you have jelly fish jelly in your belly?

Sparkling said...

You've got too much free space in your head

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I got woken up by a song on the radio... the song was "All by myself"... followed by an article on how statistically a woman is more likely to find an eligible single man when she's 82 than when she's 32.

I hate the song but couldn't get it out of my head... I am not quite 32 yet but I am single... Needless to say I had a great day...

zydeco fish said...

Dear Anon,

What radio station are you listening to? It would seem to be detrimental to your health! Change stations now.

Cooper said...

I have several songs that periodically flip into my head, many of them are a little dirty so,e are songs from my childhood. It does drive me nuts.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately it's one of the better ones around here - the National Radio. I really just use it for waking up and listening to the morning news and Parliamentary debates.

DC said...

Has the Crazy Frog reached you yet. God help you when it does.

mister anchovy said...

I was on a camping trip a couple years ago, and for an entire week, could not get the Ry Cooder version of Jesus is on the Mainline out of my head....then another time, it was the Chris Ardoin tune, Talking the Devil. It seems like Jesus and Satan have dominated my earworms.....

zydeco fish said...

Crazy Frog? I'll have to look that up.

The ZenFo Pro said...

I've had "Where Oh where Are You Tonight" by Buck Owens and Glen Campbell (as performed on Hee-Haw) stuck in my head since about 1984.

You can't fight it. I remember doing a punk version of my "Hee-Haw Demon" live once, in an attempt to exorcize the beast. It failed miserably, possibly making it worse.

Anonymous said...

I've walked around with the tunes of Patsy Cline's "Crazy" for the past couple of months...and it seems to be stuck :p

Jack Burden said...

When I have a song in my head, I find that it helps to sing it out loud. Specfically, sing it out loud to a friend or family member until it pisses them off.

Then, the song goes away. There's something about other people's pain that eases the mind.