Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Wal-Mart, Pick-up Joint No More

After only one month, the Wal-Mart in Roanoke, Virginia has cancelled it's Friday singles shopping night. Single shoppers displayed a red bow on their carts to let other shoppers know that they were available.

As well, "flirt points" were set up in the store. I wonder if there were flirt points by the condoms?

I am not going to make any jokes about Wal-Mart customers. And, I have no answer to one Virginia shopper's question: "Where can someone over 40 who doesn't smoke or drink or go to bars meet someone?" In Virginia? I have no idea.

I am not sure that Wal-mart was the best retailer for such an experiment. I would say that a reasonably upscale grocery store would be a better choice or maybe even a Laundromat or possibly a public library. Who knows?

Technorati Tags: ,

11 comments:

The ZenFo Pro said...

As a native son of the Old Dominion, I'm still in total shock over this.
I'm just hoping that none of my relatives were the ones hitting on people by the Sam's Choice Cola.

JWJ

Critical Darling said...

I'm all for the red bows. Not just in Wal-Mart, but everywhere. I wouldn't have one, you see, so I would no longer have to deal with skanky desperate greaseball in trenchcoat whose impromptu analysis of vampire mythology is supposed to make me sweat. Why? Why why why why? And more importantly, why me?

Anonymous said...

I won't even shop in Wal-Mart, so I can't imagine trawling for dates in one.

(File this comment under "glad to be married).

Anonymous said...

Damn, damn, damn.

And I had the "nice melons" line all geared up and ready to go.

Fuckin' bastards.

mister anchovy said...

Since I refuse to go into a Walmart - they are, after all, the evil Empire - I missed out on all the fun....

Jay said...

Oh my gosh - why am I not even surprised by this?

Anonymous said...

Perfect spouse:
attractive, employed, shops at Walmart.

Classy!

:)

The ZenFo Pro said...

Toryssa said...
Perfect spouse:
attractive, employed, shops at Walmart.

Classy!


Actually, the kind of folks that would pick up other folks in Wally World, at least in my corner of Ohio would probably fall more into the shallow, barely employable, and regular guests on Jerry Springer.

J.

Liz said...

I can imagine myself meeting < sarcasm >that special someone< /sarcasm > while we are both picketing/boycotting a Wal-Mart together!

zydeco fish said...

I guess I shoud confess that I occassionally shop at Wal-Mart, but only becuase it is very close to my house. I would never drive to one (even if I had a car).

Anonymous said...

I'm horrified by the concept of people who would actually go to a Wal-Mart singles nite being given help at meeting someone like them with whom they could reproduce. Yikes.