Thursday, August 04, 2005

War Resisters Support Campaign

I personally know two men who moved to Canada to avoid the Vietnam draft. I admire them for having made a difficult decision and for doing what they felt was the right thing to do. The War Resisters Support Campaign supports "U.S. soldiers seeking asylum in Canada because they refuse to fight in the illegal war in Iraq."

Naturally, there are those who will attack this group as promoting treason or some such idiotic thing. I am using the word idiotic because I was attacked for being idiotic twice over my last post:

"Your idiotic ideas are laughable. America is still the greatest country on the face of the earth." (from Paul).

And:

"a post as idiotic and generally ignorant as yours" (from Art).

Oh, and Art, if you are still reading this, thanks for your last post. I really enjoyed it.

Don't worry. I am not considering taking up full time political blogging. And, just to clarify, when I said "I am happy that I am not an American" I meant it in a tax sense. I know that all governments squander money. I am just happy that my taxes aren't being wasted in Iraq. I have American friends and friends who have moved to the USA. And, I have visited often and really like the places I have seen and the people I have met.

Less political content will return soon.

Coming Soon

I have been tagged by G and I am still working out my answers.

Technorati Tags: ,

7 comments:

Art said...

ZF,

I've enjoyed reading your blog these past few months, and I guess your post came at a bad time. I have had friends killed in Iraq these past few months, and so perhaps I'm a little extra sensitive on the subject. I don't dislike Canadians. I have many Canadian friends. My blog has a running joke about Canada, simply because I enjoy ribbing some of the Canadians I work with. They do the same, and we all get along. I think one of those posts was how I found your blog. I am defensive when I feel that America has been attacked, and I do take it personally, especially lately. My whole life is wrapped up around the idea of service and honor. Idea is the wrong word, as these concepts are more than just ideas. Honor is something within yourself that is intangible. It doesn't come from service, but the two go hand in hand. When I volunteered to serve it was with the knowledge that I would have to follow the lead of those who do not wear the uniform. This is as it should be for any other system would be a death blow to the freedom and democracy that I have been sworn to protect. Every servicemember knows that they must trust the civilian population to make wise choices and to support them should they ever be called to go into battle. I respect and will defend with my life anyones right to disagree with the decision to send troops into battle. Once those troops are committed to battle however I believe that one must choose a side, and carefully determine if their words will either aid or hurt the war effort. Words sometimes have consequences that extend far beyond their original intention. I don't think it's treason to write what was written here. I do believe that given the political climate in the middle east, and the terrorist recruiting strategies, it is inherently unwise for any American to make PUBLIC comments declaring that the current conflict is illegal. You are Canadian and so this does not apply to you. I simply hope that the history our two nations share, and the common blood that has been shed in the cause of freedom would be sufficient to allow you and and your countrymen, to if not support us, than to at least not actively work against us.

Super Happy Jen said...

War is bad.

That's my two cents. Well, one cent.

Anonymous said...

ZF-

How can you justify supporting these 'war resisters' while stating...

I do NOT believe that any member of any military serving Iraq are criminals.

And also commenting that you believe that there is nothing illegal about the war except for Abu Graib. Are you stating that these people, after volunteering to serve their country, are justifying in leaving because they feel like it?

aurelius-

Admiring the resisters to the war sounds like going against the US to me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm half awake and didn't put my info in right. My comment is the paxil_rose one above.

mister anchovy said...

I'm with ya, mister fish

zydeco fish said...

"And also commenting that you believe that there is nothing illegal about the war except for Abu Graib."

That's not exactly what I said. I said: "As far as I know, the only illegal acts happaned at Abu Graib." And, I was referring to Art's comment that "I take offense to the insinuation that the military members who are serving Iraq are somehow criminals."

I think the war is illegal but that doesn't mean that the troops are criminals. I wouldn't even suggest it. In fact, we know that many don't want to be in Iraq and some have stated that it is time to leave.

Anonymous said...

I am really curious to know what are those freedoms, opportunities and happiness that only Americans enjoy... please enlighten me, loomis... I live in New Zealand (in case you need to look at a map, it's next to Australia) and would really like to know what I am missing out on...