Saturday, August 06, 2005

I've Been Tagged

I guess it had to happen: G tagged me and I finally have answers (better late than never). But first, a preamble.

As a commenter on my blog once said (and I am paraphrasing), "you seem to live in a pop culture vacuum." It's true. There was a period of close to ten years when I had no TV. As a result, there are dozens of TV programs I have never seen. I missed tons of movies too. In some respects, I feel as though I had spent a long time in prison, but the kind of prison where there is no TV. But, on with the thing (even though it sort of gives away my approximate age).

Oh, I should also mention that I have a hard time even remembering what I have seen.

Childhood

Most movies I saw as a kid where on TV, but I did get to the drive-in in later years. In fact, I saw Star Wars at the drive-in. No, it does not make my list.

Killdozer: an appallingly ridiculous movie from 1974 in which a bull dozer becomes a killer. No, it's not Stephen King, but it could have been. Gordie & I saw it many many times.

Honorable Mentions

Smokey and the Bandit: I've never seen my dad laugh so hard. I had to get him to turn up the speaker dangling over the car window so that I could hear it.

Logan's Run: I might even buy this one on DVD.


Teens (1980s)

Altered States: This movie got some unjustified bad reviews, in my opinion.

Honorable Mention

Blue Velvet: I am not sure why. It is kinda creepy.


Twenties (80s-90s)

Brazil: Simply fascinating.

Honorable Mention

Pulp Fiction: If only because it resurrected John Travolta's career. I think he should have to give Tarantino a cut of every paycheck he subsequently received.


Thirties (now)

Memento: Because I really feel like that guy. I think I have a preview of what Alzheimer's must be like.


Before My Time
Citizen Kane
Dr. Strangelove
2001 A Space Odyssey

I tag you. I am a little unsure about tagging people, especially since some people hate these things. So, if you want to do it, do it and let me know. It's that easy.

P.S. Yes, I have fallen behind in my blog reading. I hope to catch up soon.

Technorati Tags: ,

8 comments:

Meliors Simms said...

Ok, I reveal my gross ignorance and absence from pop culture and blog culture... what is tagging? and was the point of it to list your favourite or most memorable movies through your life?

Liz said...

Logan's Run is a great movie. It made my list too. I have it on DVD.

Was Altered States the one with the sensory deprivation tank?

Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...

cool blog

Jay said...

I have to join forces with Meliors here - in your preamble, you neglected to mention what you were doing! I can only assume it was memorable movies, but it could be your most hated, and that would really change everything, now wouldn't it?

zydeco fish said...

Oh my God, that was an oversight. Yes, it was intended to be fav movies at certain points in your life. My fav movies as a child might not hold up today.

zydeco fish said...

Altered States was the one in the sensory deprivation tank. I am not sure it is still a favourite, but it was once.

Anonymous said...

Memento was gripping and suitably creepy.

zydeco fish said...

Meliors, When someone answers a set of questions, like the one in this post (sometimes called a meme), then they pass it along to other people to do. That is tagging.