Monday, August 29, 2005

"You've Got a Nice Box"

I have a confession: I use one of those shopping carts. You know, the black ones with the big wheels at the back and the small wheels at the front. You've seen many old people with them, some ferrying small lap dogs. Others carrying stashes of cat food, kitty litter, budgie food, or live crabs, bleeding chicken legs, or salted fish. There is that bag lady whose cart is full of bags and probably something dead.

The holes in the cart always caused me problems. I'd lose cans on the pavement, so I placed a box inside. One glorious day, I got an impressively large box from No Frills that fit perfectly. It made my shopping easier. Suddenly, I became the envy of the old people. I detected murmuring while shopping some time ago at No Fills. I felt a gaze of the hot and tired eyes upon me. I turned and found three old ladies looking at me. It was 100 degrees outside and they were all wearing floor-length winter coats. One said, perhaps too longingly, "you've got a nice box." I worried that they were about swarm me. I moved towards the potato chips, their eyes following me.

I remembered those days when I used to stand in line at banks. For some reason, a retired person always ended up in line behind me, breathing down my neck. Well, they were too short to really breath down my neck, but there were definitely breathing down my shorts. I felt mushy breasts pushing into my back. I gather they thought that pushing me would make the line move faster. I stood my ground and even pushed back, adjusted my back pack to put some space between them and me. I still felt pressure against my back. I turned around a few times and glared. That is why I was an early adopter of banking machines and internet banking. I needed my space.

I do have a nice box, thank you very much. And no, you can't have it.

Technorati Tags: , ,

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm sure you do indeed have a very nice box...

I often employ a similar tactic to create space between myself and others on the subway...the trick is to be oh so subtle about it so they're never quite sure if it's intentional...

Jay said...

Ah old people. I think they are the reason we have elbows.

tshsmom said...

Do you ride one of those 3-wheeled bicycles too?

zydeco fish said...

no, but i am thinking about it :-)

kewpiedoll said...

maybe you can cut a record and sell thousands since you now have an uh, fan base...;p

The Zombieslayer said...

That's pretty funny. with the title, I was thinking you were going to say something else. :p

As for old people, whoever said they get nicer? They don't. People who say they get nicer as they get older must be smoking crack.

Kimberley said...

Ah, if I had a dollar ...

zydeco fish said...

MK, I think I get that :-)

Super Happy Jen said...

Ah old people, always the spellers. GAH!

"My name is Jane Smith. J as in John, A as in Apple, N as in um um um Norman, I guess. E as in egg. SPACE. S as in Sam, M as in mother, I as in um, let's see now, icicle! T as in turtle, H as in house"

Whatever they do, they like to do it NICE AND SLOW.

Anonymous said...

When I lived alone, and could walk to the grocery store, down a pretty tree-lined street, I had one of those carts, but it never occured to me to put a box in it. I just had them bag things in paper.

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha...I have a cart also! I call it my "ghetto cart"....

I have taken it with me from the bronx to philly....

have had it for at least 7 years..(yeah, it is still good..squeeks though)

used it to go to different food pantries when things were really rough back in the day!

whew!

laura k said...

In New York City, where most people don't have cars - and those who do don't use them for local shopping - everyone uses those carts. We use(d) them for shopping, laundry (gotta get to the laundromat somehow!) and other bulky-things-transport. We put vinyl liners in them so things don't fall out.

We're not ashamed. You shouldn't be either.

P.S. We didn't take our cart to Canada. We left it for someone in our old building.