Friday, August 26, 2005

Boring City

Sin City is boring, boring, boring. Even the gratuitous hyper-violence couldn't hold my attention. The acting is generally bad, especially on the part of Bruce Willis. The stories barely hold together. There is no suspense and little to keep me interested in watching, aside from the costumes.

There is way too much voice-over action going on. I figure that indicates a general failure in film-making. If you can't show what's happening in pictures or dialogue, without having to tell us what's going on at the same time, something is wrong.

Sin City is juvenile, pointless, and anti-social. That would be OK if the movie was well done, but it isn't. I give it 6 out of 10. And, god, I hope I never have to see it again.

Technorati Tags: , ,

11 comments:

zydeco fish said...

The costumes move it up to 6, other wise, it would have been a 4 or 3.

Anonymous said...

ahh, fish...

the acting is intentionally over the top...stylistically i loved it, and the costumes are amazing...

better luck next time.

greatwhitebear said...

your blog is nice... keep up the great work.

If you are interested in seeing a bunch of crazed wing nuts rant, check out my site. You'll find lots of information that is totally useless, but highly entertaining. (God, don't you hate comment spam?)

Ona more serious note: I loved SIN CITY! Classic comic noir on the big screen. Stylish, over the top, a great change of pace from the normal. I thought EVERYONE one in the film was excellent!

mister anchovy said...

I see that two of my favourite bloggers offer diametrically opposite opinions of this one. I avoided it when it was released, but I thought it might be an OK renter. A guy at work has raved about the movie, but then again, he was a comic book collector for many years and loves the idea of his comics coming to life.

Anonymous said...

You might want to avoid Alexander, too. I am glad that you are recommending water purification systems...think it relates to the "fish" in your name?

Anonymous said...

So, what you're saying is the movie is bad? Great...thanks for the review... 'll skip it.

The Zombieslayer said...

I loved it.
But then again, I'm a big fan of both film noir and Robert Rodriguez. He's pretty over the top as a director, and I guess not everyone's going to love his work.

kewpiedoll said...

I beg to disagree, I loved loved loved Sin City!

The movie is very good technically and although the story line is not exactly the best, it is quite faithful to the movie's source. All in all, save for Brittany Murphy's and Jessica Alba's lack of valid thespian skills, the movie still rates for me.

Anonymous said...

Check out some of the graphic novels it is based on and watch again.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see the movie, but I'm surprised you found it so boring. I think Miller is a talented story teller; the best comic book I ever read was Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Best comic book ever, IMO.

I guess Miller swung and missed with this one.

zydeco fish said...

Domain Blog: maybe I just didn't get it.