Friday, September 23, 2005

Confession #2

I have watched all three seasons of Canadian Idol. Why, you may ask? I am not sure. Let me just say that I have never seen American Idol or the original Pop Idol. I can think of many reasons not to watch Canadian Idol. These include: Ben Mulroney (and his terrible wardrobe), Jon Dore (and his awful facial hair and unfunny comedy routines), bad singing, bad song choices, bad music in general, the ubiquitous cheese factor, and Sass Jordan (I mean, if she could sing, she'd still be singing, right?).

The waiter who won the first season can't sing. In fact, many of the finalists are appalling singers. It drives me nuts that many of these people will get record contracts, when many can't play an instrument or write a song. It's mostly lame music.

I know what you are thinking. You are wondering why I watch it. Let's not forget that, aside from the snoopisms, the search term Canadian Idol sucks brings many people to this blog. I watch it because the cross-country search for "talent" is hilarious. It's amazing to me that so many people would volunteer to make fools of themselves on national television. I also watch it because I need to break out of my pop culture vacuum. The real reason I watch is that I don't have cable and there are very few choices on Tuesday nights.

Technorati Tags: ,

14 comments:

Cooper said...

I'll forgive you this one time.

zydeco fish said...

So, I remove word verification, and look what happens. I guess I was far too optimistic.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hemlock said...

I don't know why, but watching people sing on TV or in movies makes me cringe. I CAN'T STAND IT!!!

Going to a live show, however, is very cool.

PS - Yep...I'm stickin' with the word verification

Anonymous said...

In Canadian Idol, do they all sing AY in the lyrics? I have a lot of relatives in Canada so I can poke fun :)

mister anchovy said...

I think the point really is that it doesn't matter if they can sing or not. The show is designed to demonstrate an adage my father shared with me at a young age. He would say, "Son, they could sell shit on a stick if they marketed it right". The music business is mostly a marketing game (look, for instance at music videos -nothing but TV commercials to sell stuff - CDs, and in the case of hip-hop, phones, sneakers and lord knows what other junk. The Idol shows rub our face in it. We get to know these nice kids and we want them to succeed. Elvis Presley once said, "I don't know anything about music - in my business, I don't have to."

kewpiedoll said...

we're all voyeurs by nature...we can't resist a train wreck waiting to happen and that's what these so-called 'talent shows' are all about...

Anonymous said...

your carefully crafted rationalizations don't fool me for a second...you're a fan of Canadian Idol...accept this fact, and only then will you find peace and harmony within yourself...

Super Happy Jen said...

There was a show on a while ago, I think it was called "hot or not" or some such. It was just like American Idol in that it had judges. Instead of the contestants singing, however, they just stood there while the judges picked apart their appearance. The winner was the hottest man or woman. Hillarious.

Kimberley said...

I find that drinking while watching television greatly enhances it's appeal.

Anonymous said...

You know you watch it because you secretly want to be a pop star... you are just biding your time!

Jay said...

I take comfort in the fact that I have the kind of friends where, if I suddenly declared an intention to try out for Canadian Idol, any one of them would say "No Jay, you suck."

Anonymous said...

Your admission to watching Canadian Idol is well,not all that
surprising. I dont' know why. Hmm..well I'll admit I did watch the first season of CI and American Idol, and out of all the seasons since, only the first American Idol accomplished what it was supposed to do....find a great singer. Now you may not like Kelly Clarkson and her music (which I'm sure you don't), but she's got talent and can sing the crap out of anything. That said, let these Idol shows die. I don't want to ever hear another Willam Hung again.

Anonymous said...

oh and yes...I hate Ben Mulroney. I mean he's the best we have? Bleh...so sad.