Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Self Portrait #5
(Self Portrait #4)

I survived the Conference. It was good and bad. You know, I really hate it when the abstract in the programme is completely at odds with the content that is presented. These people should be banned from ever presenting again. It's false advertising and a huge waste of my time.

I am sitting down today to write a book proposal. It's only a proposal, so this might not happen. I am giving myself until the end of August next year to have it done, providing that the idea is accepted. I work better under deadlines.

First, though, I have to clear off my desk. If my office is messy, I can accomplish nothing. That means I have to move: a napkin (clean) from the last time I got some Thai food, some paper clips, a receipt or two, Michael Stephens' Who Are the Blog People? survey card (by the way, I am in this picture, but good luck trying to find me - no, I am not the dorky looking guy in the suit), about 1000 Midwest books slips, chopsticks (still wrapped in paper), a pen knife (mostly for opening oranges), old newspapers, an issue of Choice, two draft articles I am working on, publishers' catalogues, a piece of paper with RD533.5 .M35 2002 written on it, a plastic spoon, a cell phone battery, a Palm Pilot, MasterCard bill, about two pounds of paper, a print out from Scotland's People that tells me that my grandfather was illegitimate, coupons for HMV, and a bunch of other junk.

Technorati tags: , , ,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now now....

I submitted an abstract to a conference about a year ago for an upcoming conference, but my data ended up being brutal (field problems). BUT, the deadline was last year for the abstract. I can't resubmit because they've already published the proceedings.

Lame. I'm gonna be one of those "false advertisers".

Anonymous said...

when the abstract in the programme is completely at odds with the content that is presented

hmmmm, sort of like this?

Anonymous said...

Near as I can recall from shelf reading, isn't that nursing? I fucking deplore doing the nursing section. Ironically, they are the messiest ones.

Anonymous said...

Liz: Yes, like that, sort of.

Anonymous said...

"You know, I really hate it when the abstract in the programme is completely at odds with the content that is presented."

I hope you wrote that on the eval, because we [i.e. the conference planners] really do read every comment and evaluation form.

Anonymous said...

That was a bit of a challenge, finding you in that photo.

I'm 95% sure I've located you. Of course I decoded flickr's system for static images in order to find the original, full size image so it was easier. That with information from the previous self portraits such as the glasses and the hair colour/style.

Anonymous said...

Lol...sounds like a library conference ;)

At work I requested - and somehow was able to get - two separate desks. I thought that would help. But my piles o' work crap seem to be breeding like rabbits. I found a bookslip and I don't do selection or have anything to do with collection development. One of my staffers found a piece of a candy bar.

Good luck with the book proposal.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember you and deadlines. Typing up your history paper and having me and Bobbi run it over page by page to the history prof.

I think I found you in the picture even without your Waldo outfit.

Anonymous said...

are you the guy with the beard in the yellow shirt?

hm, your organizing sounds a lot like my procrastinating. potato, potahto.

Anonymous said...

are you going to be writing fiction?

Anonymous said...

Zebby: no, not fiction. Actually, I should have mentioned that I am proposing that I edit a book, which is far less work than actually writing one.

Anonymous said...

Cool eye photo.(Am bleary eyed at 3 a.m. here so I'll catch up on your blog later.)Hope your proposal comes through.
I like a (relatively) clean desk = less cluttered mind.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with it all.


I wouldn't have a clue how to find you in that photo and at this time in the morning I could give a damn. ;)