Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Conference

I will be attending the Ontario Library Association's Annual Super Conference in Toronto for the next three days. I have no idea why they call it a Super Conference. It's not like they host a Terrible Conference during a different part of the year. The conference is good, but I am not so sure that I have ever had a super time listening to sessions on metadata or strategic planning. No, I will not be presenting this year.

I think there's something weird about going to a conference where you live. My preferred conference experience is sleeping in hotels, going out to dinner, seeing new places, and skipping sessions to go shopping in new stores. The Metro Toronto Convention Centre is located in a touristy area, and so it is all over-priced restaurants and stupid stores. Of course, it is a step up from my experience in Houston, where I felt like I was in some sort of prison. We were miles away from anything and, without a car, we had no where to go. It was hell on earth. Boston, on the other hand, rocked. Now that is a cool city.

This is what I wrote about the conference last year.

Technorati Tags: ,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...stupid stores"? LAME!!

I get to head to North Carolina in a few months, so I'm super excited about all the cool restaurants I get to visit!! And all the funny accents I get to listen to.

Sorry you're stuck near the bad restaurants and stupid stores...

Anonymous said...

Try to have fun anyway!

Anonymous said...

Boston is Excellent. But if I had to attend a library conference to get there? Might poke my eyes out first.

Yes, I've done nothing with my degree. There's probably a good reason for that...

Anonymous said...

I know, it's so disappointing to stick at home. I always feel bad for Olympians intheir home country - I mean, great, you'll have lots of cheering, but you don't get to see the world!!

Anonymous said...

I would like to attend this Terrible Conference if they ever get around to it!

Anonymous said...

Have fun at the conference, even if it is pretty much a local one :)

Anonymous said...

My husband is in a similar position. No, he's not a libarian. But next week he'll be attending the NANOG conference right here in the Dallas metroplex.

Anonymous said...

Of course! Boston is the center of the known universe! Glad you liked it here! And I would agree with you about Houston, what a horrible place. I'm so glad that was the city which got nuked in the movie Independence Day.