Friday, April 07, 2006

Answers, Part 1

Liz, from Library Tavern asks: "If you were a nut, what kind would you be?"

Well, that's a tough one. If you had asked me what my favourite nut is, I would probably have said the almond. You know, if you split in half just right with your teeth, you will notice that they are delightfully smooth on the tongue. I am also a fan of almond butter, despite the hefty price. What kind of nut would I be is a far more difficult question.

I like cashews, but they are not nuts: they are seeds, although some people persist in arguing that they are nuts. Anyway, I don't think I would like that kidney shape. I can rule out the coconut - not a true nut either - and the peanut, for it is far too common (not to mention that it is not a true nut either). Walnuts are over-rated and bitter and the Brazil nut is far too much work to get into.

I considered the filbert and the hazelnut (close nut relatives). In the end, I would have to choose the pistachio.

Why? Well, just read this sentence from the Wikipedia entry: "When the fruit ripens, the shells split open partially. This happens with an audible pop, and legend has it that lovers who stand under a pistachio tree at night and hear the nuts popping open will have good luck."

That is cool.

By the way, if you want to ask me a question, do it here.

Technorati Tags: , ,

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I lived in France, we could get fresh walnuts and hazelnuts seasonaly -- they were absolutely divine!

Here, though, I wouldn't touch a walnut if you paid me.

Pistachios are a good choice. I like cashews, too.

Liz said...

I am so honored that you answered my question.

zydeco fish said...

Liz, Consider yourself lucky :-)

hemlock said...

You're so quirky. I enjoyed your answer immensely.

Anonymous said...

If I was going to be a nut, I'd be an R.P. McMurphy.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that cashews were not nuts. They used to be my favourite, regardless.

Recently, though, I've come to really enjoy pistachios, even though they're very addictive.

I'll put them in order of favourites: cashews, pistachios, then the lowly peanut.

tshsmom said...

I think I'm a Brazil nut...hard to get into, but worth the effort!

Kyahgirl said...

I had the best Pecans ever when I was in Texas a couple of weeks ago. I still like almonds the best though.

Super Happy Jen said...

pistachios are very easy to crack open. Are you saying you're easy to crack?

zydeco fish said...

Well, I had never thought of that, but maybe you are right.

Gel said...

Superb post. I agree about pistachios (that meat: yum!!) but I would not have been able to write a post with such nutty but cerebral flair. (Eiher one or the other for me.) BTW, I also love cashews. Wish I hadn't been barely in blogland for another hiatus. I love reading librarian's blogs.