Wednesday, April 05, 2006

An Open Letter to Jacob Richler

Dear Mr. Richler,

I deleted the first letter I wrote to you because it was filled with profanity. The letter was excessive and most probably cathartic at the same time. I am sure I can get through this letter with far fewer expletives.

I read with great interest your attack on cyclists in yesterday's National Post (p. A10). If I understand you correctly, you are pissed off because you got a parking ticket and now you think that the law should come down on all cycling "freeloaders" because we use roads "built on the hard-working backs of motorists, and who get around without contributing gas taxes, or helping the local automobile industry or anything useful at all." Mr. Richler, many cyclists own cars as well as bikes, and we pay our fair share of taxes.

I pay a huge amount of taxes: I pay property taxes, sales taxes, and income taxes. I support the local bicycle industry and my local bicycle repair shops too. I do this while not polluting the air with exhaust fumes, or by supporting the environmentally-damaging petroleum industry, and the wars waged on its behalf. Your statement that cyclists don't contribute "anything useful at all" is both ridiculous and ignorant.

Your run-in with that cyclist on Yonge Street is regrettable, but would it be fair to characterize all automobile drivers by the behaviour of a few? There are some cyclists who ignore the rules of the road, and who ride dangerously. I have no problem with fines for dangerous cycling. The tone of your opinion piece is negative to all cyclists. You refer to bicycles as "monsters on two wheels." Clearly, you have no respect for any cyclist and, despite what you claim, it is obvious that you hate them.

The next time you get a parking ticket, just remember that the parking laws are there for a good reason: that is, so you can have a place to park. If everyone was permitted to park wherever they wanted, there would be SUVs on the sidewalks in front of Starbucks all across the city.

I suggest that you park your car for a few weeks and try to navigate the streets of Toronto by bicycle. (I would have suggested that you try the TTC, but I remembered that you hate the TTC. And, I also recall that you hate the Green Bin program as well. What is it with you and progess?). Anyway, get on a bike and you will quickly learn that the streets of Toronto are very dangerous to cyclists. I'd like to read a column about how well you did on a two wheeled monster when surrounded by a sea of 2000 pound automobiles.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

8 comments:

hemlock said...

Ignorant car/SUV/truck drivers really tick me off. If we all just take a few seconds, look around, be observant...we can all live happily ever after.

Sounds like someone just needed a place to gripe, and found that place in the National Post.

Super Happy Jen said...

You know your site actually came up while I was surfing blog explosion?

Anyway I think your brave to be biking in TO. Looks about as safe as biking over Niagara Falls on a tight rope.

Kimberley said...

word, holmes.

running42k said...

Very well said. As a fellow cyclists I agree with your well thoughtout arguments. To expand on the taxes, we do indeed pay taxes. Income, property, sales. We don't pay the taxes on the gas we don't buy. We also don't wear the road down like cars, nor do we pollute, like cars. We are healthier and therefore put less stress on the health care system.

We also don't tailgate or speed like cars.

Kyahgirl said...

I stopped cycling in Victoria after I just about got my head knocked off a few times by those big mirrors that some trucks have. Way too dangerous.

Nice letter. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get through to Mr.Richler. People like that will always find something to gripe about.

Heather said...

Amen! (and well written!) I would've used way more expletives

Darren J said...

Nicely put! (I know this post is old, but I just found it.) I'm glad you wrote such an eloquent letter to him. I guess he never responded?

zydeco fish said...

No, he did not respond. Maybe I should have sent it to the Post.