Thursday, May 04, 2006

No Progress

So, I started to write my trapped in the women's washroom story, but it is not going well. It is far too long and not as interesting as I had remembered. So, I am sitting here, working and listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada. Well, not really working, 'cause I am typing this, but it is lunch, and so I am diverted from work, which is a good thing. Oh, the CD is over ... let me change it to ... let's see ... how about ARC. Okay, ARC it is (this is the Aidan Baker ARC, not the other ones). OK, somehow, it is now 4:12. How did that happen?

You see, this post is going nowhere, but - trust me - it is far more interesting than my attempt at desrcibing the time I got trapped in a women's washroom. Okay, here is an exceprt from the draft:
I am not sure why that sounded like a good idea. I suppose I assumed that this would have been a small washroom with one stall. Years later, I wondered if it had to do with an experience I had when I was 12 or 13. I had a part-time job doing some custodial work for a local idiot. I tidied up, emptied ash trays (a skill that came in very handy when I later worked as a bartender), and some other mundane tasks.

The highlight came when I went into the women's washroom after some event. What a palace! The men's room could only be descibed as dirty, ugly, utilitarian, and boring. You know, there were urinals, toilets, sinks, paper towels, mirrors, etc. In contrast, the women's washroom had bizarre dispensers on the wall, better colours, and get this - a sofa! I had never seen a sofa in a washroom before. What luxury. What decadence. Even at that age, I knew that women tended to go to the can in herds, and now I knew why. They sat on the sofa, smoked, chatted and generally lounged about. But, what did they talk about?
As an aside, I will say that I have many many drafts in Blogger that will probably never see the light of day. Do you?

Link of the day: http://zydecofish.youaremighty.com/

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

13 comments:

Jay said...

I wish! I usually only sit down to write about what I did yesterday. If it gets further than yesterday, I'd forget anyway. I don't think I have any drafts at all. I never was one for drafts.

I remember the first time I encountered urinal cakes cleaning a men's washroom. It was far less an exciting discovery than sofas, I assure you.

hemlock said...

Riveting stuff ZF. Will the story be available only in hardcover?

Drafts? Usually I have one or two, then I delete them because they're lame.

Meliors Simms said...

Oh yeah, I self censor lots for a) boring content, b) I don't want my parents to know and c)too much angst.
Mostly B I'm sorry to say. I wish my cousin hadn't told my brother who told my parents about my blog, since my policy is to have them know as little as possible about me, so as to minimise their ammunition for gossip, (mis)interpretation and guilt-tripping.
Too often, I publish and then a few hours later revert the post to draft when I'm overwhelmed by regret/fear of parental consequences.

Kyahgirl said...

women's washrooms can be a real refuge. you've discovered our secret :-)

I didn't used to have drafts. I just right each post as it came up.

Lately, I've started a pile of posts and not finished them because its all an incoherent jumble in my head. I feel like there are some things I need to say but can't sort them out.

does a person become more self absorbed once they start blogging?

running42k said...

Interesting website you developed there.

Anna May Won't said...

whenever i talk about something before i write it, i always feel like i've jinxed myself and then i can't write it, or have trouble doing so.

cool website. a bit narcissistic perhaps but still cool. ;)

Anonymous said...

That's quite a link...err...you sure think well of yourself. Yep, no self esteem problems with you...

Super Happy Jen said...

The only washroom I've seen with a sofa is at the movie theatre. I think these things are there to trick you into thinking you're having fun if you're waiting in line. The more likely a long lineup is, the more luxury items the washroom has. Kind of like the tvs in line at Canada's Wonderland.

Anonymous said...

Anyone can have one -- the link, I mean. I set one up for a friend as a bit of a kick.

Drafts? What are drafts?

tshsmom said...

I have almost as many drafts as posts. I guess I'm just a work in progress. ;)

Kate said...

I have tons of drafts. I am ashamed to say how long I sometimes obsess about posts. See, now you can't excuse my bad grammar, typos, and incoherent text on my just dashing the things off.

I have a fabulous locked the women's washroom story, which is exciting even if being in the women's washroom wasn't the exciting part. There wasn't a sofa, though.

Neat facts: I have been in men's restrooms before, in fact I walked into one accidentally once and knew, knew that I was in the wrong place.

My some doofus locked herself into the stall story.

Anonymous said...

This site has been developed to document and provide the history and all other related information on sofa. Anything you need to know on sofa, you'll find it here.

zydeco fish said...

But why?